Saturday 15 September 2012

The year that was, and the year that approaches: Jewish New Year 5773

So, I started this "tradition" last year on Rosh Hashana, reflecting on the year that was. As it serves as a nice memory to look back on I thought I'd repeat it, especially in light of major changes that come with the move I made, this may come as a handy reference point in one year's time again.

What can I say. Reading back my Jewish new year post from last year, (you can read it here, if you wish), I would never have imagined back then where I would be one year on.

So, the year that was:

PERSONAL ACHIEVEMENTS

I am not big on this one, maybe because I tend to be harsh on myself. In an interview for a job recently I was asked, "if your friends were to describe you, what would they say?" This got me thinking, how would I LIKE my friends to describe me. I would like people to think of me as kind, caring, non-judgmental, friendly and helpful. One can always define themselves by the job they hold, the person they are with, the stuff they have done. There is a lot to be said for such achievements when they have come about through hard work, commitment and personal attributes such as intellect and drive. However, since life is full of surprises, these types of achievements are not always in our control. What I can control is how I treat others, if I help others when I can, if I attempt to make a positive impact on the world, in the grander scheme of things, whether on a small or large scale. If I have achieved any of those things in the past year, it is these things I am most proud of. Some other things I am proud of from the past year are standing up for myself, standing up for what I feel is right and standing up for others. This past year, like in previous times in my life, I have learnt that doing so is not always the easiest option, and there is often a personal price to be paid. Truth be told, this year I feel I paid a heavy personal price for speaking out, for being who I am, and not being afraid. But despite the personal price I have paid, I feel it is for the best, morally I feel I have done right, and as always, I have grown from the experience and I feel I have come out on top. I count that as an achievement for which I hold my head up high. This year I also learnt, more so than in the past, the weight of my words and the impact they can have. I feel that through hard work and true passion, I have earnt the respect of many I have encountered, and in doing so, that I have gained a voice worthy of respect. That too I see as a personal achievement, one I hope to continue to live up to and remain worthy of.

CARVING OUT A PATH

This time last year, I said that I felt I had not really begun on what I viewed to be the career path of my choice. In the past year I have learnt a lot, did not follow a straight path, but allowed myself to explore different professional interests along the way which have helped solidify my thoughts on what I want to achieve in my professional life. I have moved to Dublin for work, to pursue an opportunity in an area which is certainly where I had hoped to see myself, sooner or later, though it is still just early days yet. I have experienced on my own skin what as recent grads we are often told and often have trouble accepting, that a successful career path is not necessarily linear, rather there are many paths, often tangled, that lead to success.  This year has been a tangled path indeed, full of highs and lows, but as always I try and give thanks for all the lessons learnt through the good times, and the bad.

MOVING TO DUBLIN

This is still very fresh, 3 weeks into the move, but deserves a mention nonetheless. Several of my friends have said to me they think I am "brave"for having the guts to make such a move, from one end of the earth to just about the furthest point from it you can get, and for the second time in my life at that. I don't think I am brave. While the move has gone smoothly and things have been going great so far, truth be told that at least conceptually it has been hard. I try and live by the philosophy that one must seize the opportunities given to them, and that I have, but not without a tonne of self doubt and questioning of the choices I have made in life. The choices I have made, moving from Israel to Australia and now from Australia to Ireland have been big steps, not taken lightly, but rather with a heavy heart. I am constantly striving to grow as a person and expand my horizons, and this has informed the choices I have made and the drastic changes that have resulted. The question of belonging has weighed heavily upon me for a long time, mentally placing myself in a split identity, as an Israeli and an Australian and questioning what that means and who I am. In Australia in the past 6 years, I have set down roots, I built a life, a network, a community, all of which fulfilled my life immensely and through the ups and the downs I loved my life in Oz. Here's hoping Dublin will be equally as kind to me. As mentioned in my previous post, so far Irish eyes have definitely smiled upon me.

FAMILY & FRIENDS

I try and say this as often as I can, but what you give to my life I am forever indebted for. To my family, once again I know I don't call enough, or update enough, or live up to expectations often enough. But even when I'm self involved and not reaching out, you are in my heart and mind, and for being there for me unconditionally when I do pull my head up, I love you very much. Though I know I haven't always been there when you wanted, I hope I have managed to be there when you needed me, and here's hoping with increased geographical proximity this coming year will see more face to face time, fingers crossed. My friends the world over, new and old, I am constantly moved by how you enrich my life. In the absence of family in Australia, I can say that in my time living there I always felt very well looked after profoundly and in so many ways, and many of you have become an extension of my family to me. Even with my move to Dublin, the constant contact and interest you show means more than you probably realize. I am forever thankful for my family and friends and how loved you make me feel, I hope you feel that love radiating back from me to you because I try my best to make it known.

TRAVEL

Of course. This year I added India and Poland to my visited countries list. Both countries have had a lasting impact on me in different ways. The rich culture and the vibrancy of life in India has gotten under my skin and I can't get it out, nor do I want to. While life there is complex, there is corruption and poverty and many sad things which don't make sense and just shouldn't be, there is also just something special about India that I can't put my finger on. I did not go there for a spiritual awakening, I did not meditate daily, I did not smoke any substances on Goan beaches, I did not spend any time in silent reflection in an Ashram or anything of the likes. But in all my travels there is just something about the country that I haven't encountered anywhere else, nor can I fully verbalise it. I must also say that when you moved past the incessant pushiness of vendors always trying to sell you something (and at an inflated price), service providers trying to make money off you and so on, the genuine kindness and honesty and emotiveness of the Indian people is something I admire greatly and draw aspiration, and inspiration, from. Visiting Poland, where my Grandfather (Z"l) was born and had lived as a Jew during the atrocities of the second world war, also had a profound effect on my spirit and sense of Jewish identity, and not in the way you may have expected. I visited Auschwitz and saw first hand what pure evil looked like. I learnt more about Polish Jewry and its fate during the war than I'd known through all the years of Holocaust education at school. Most importantly though, I went with an open mind and left with more than a smidgen of optimism, for the revival of Polish Jewry specifically, and for the continuity of European Jewry more broadly. Specifically when it comes to Poland and the Polish people, I enjoyed my time there immensely. I stayed at a Polish friend's house in Krakow, and had a great time being hosted graciously by her and her family, and enjoyed overwhelmingly positive attitudes from all Poles I encountered, towards myself as an Israeli and a Jew, and towards Judaism and Israel in general. Krakow's annual Jewish cultural festival had the city abuzz while I was there, attracting great interest from tourists and non-Jewish locals alike, as well as energising the local Jewish community, which is small but brimming with rich revival of Polish Jewish life. Being in Poland, facing my family's past, and the past of my people, while looking towards the future and the prospects for revival of Polish Jewish life was a little bitter, for the recognition of the sheer scale of what we as Jews of Poland lost, but more so sweet for the commitment of the local Jewish community to bring back, on however small a scale, a Jewish presence and Jewish culture to what was at one period in time the centre of Jewish civilisation and thought across Europe and beyond. Visiting Warsaw, on a fellowship with other Jews from all corners of the world, sharing their experiences of Jewish life in places I didn't even know Jewish communities existed, was a powerful addition to the experience of Poland as well. Meeting Jews from communities across Europe and the Middle East which I didn't even know existed (Turkey, Denmark and Hungary particularly spring to mind) was a heartening experience. It strengthened my own sense of identity and desire to understand more about my roots, extending beyond being born in Israel and knowing about Israeli history. I have developed a new appreciation for wanting to connect with my European roots, if not only to understand how my family lived for generations in the not too distant past, but also for the sake of connecting more deeply, and being able to hopefully carry forward, the historical knowledge of European Jewish history. To that end I hope to visit Romania, where the majority of my family came from, sometime in the near future, and now living in Ireland, though being somewhat removed from "true" European life, I am nevertheless excited to be able to count myself among present day European Jewry, which, with my newly formed friendships amongst fellow European Jews across the continent, I hope to take part in as best I can.

So that was the year that was. For me, the year that will be is sure to be full of new experiences, territories previously uncharted and many unknowns, as would be expected moving to a new country. To myself I wish that I can make the most of these new experiences, that I can do some good and that The Creator will judge me favourably for my actions. To my family and friends I wish the sweetness and happiness that we enjoy on Rosh Hashana to last the whole year through, may you be challenged in a good way, may you grow from the experiences, and may you have the courage and strength to achieve what you hope to achieve in life. Here's to an amazing 5773. Shana Tova!



No comments:

Post a Comment