Wednesday 25 December 2013

A long overdue update

Wow, so it's been nearly 6 months since my last post. Consistency is failing me. Lately, I have felt like I have somewhat lost my passion for writing, but right now I am sitting in a hotel in Basel, Switzerland, it's Christmas day, I'm feeling relaxed and inspired so I'm going to give this another crack. And for once, this won't just be a travel update!

In the previous two years, I made a point of writing a summary update on Rosh Hashana, Jewish New Year, to reflect on the previous year, a way to share with others, but also to put things into perspective for myself I suppose. This year, I didn't do that. As I said, in a way I've been feeling like I've lost my passion for writing. It's made me feel a bit sad and guilty. I think at the moment, I don't feel like that anymore.

It has been almost a year and a half now since I moved to Dublin. Though some will (rightfully, I guess) joke that I spend almost as much time outside of the country as I do in it. I just consider it good fortune that I have been able to do that, and not a reflection of what I think of my current home in Dublin, which I've grown to like quite a bit, actually. Sure, there are always things I will miss elsewhere: good coffee, summer weather, big cities, decent Asian food (Pan fried prawn dumplings, OMG how much I miss those…..), certain people (many and perhaps MOSTLY people, I suppose) etc.  Saying that, the more things change, the more they seem to have stayed the same for me (that's a good thing) and I think that's pretty freakin' cool. What I mean by that is that consciously, by choice, I have changed a lot of things in my life since moving to Dublin. I wrote previously about moving as an opportunity to do that, and I'm happy that I've actually gone to the effort to actually do that….However, despite all the change, the constants, the things that ground me, have stayed the same. Things like the love of my family and friends, for which I am truly blessed, have seemingly not changed. In my wildest of dreams I would never have imagined how many familiar faces from far away places I would get to see once I moved away this time around. It has really hit home how small the world we live in has become, and it's been phenomenal and energising. My ability to step outside of my comfort zone and appreciate what I find along the way is both a force for change and a constant and a source of happiness all the same.

What's also been cool through it all is that some of the seemingly trivial, silly things that I like I have not had to compromise on. Like insisting on having a Halloween party because by now "it's tradition", and on that, just dress up parties in general -  I do believe I have retained my title as dress ups queen, which is like, totes mature and grown up and shizz and whatever bitches it's fun and I love it :-) Also, things like random nights out without knowing who you'll meet and what will happen and being exhilarated, rather than petrified by the thought. And getting excited beyond reason by things like delicious ice cream flavours, places that make chai lattes just the way I like them and buying quirky clothes and accessories that hardly anyone bar me approves of and still having people around tell me that "they're very 'me'", in a non-judgmental manner. And being gifted quirky jewellery by friends. That continues to surprise and delight me at the same time. Materialistic? Sure, but whatevs, I try and be equally considerate and generous to my friends, so why not? It makes me happy and I like that my friends recognise that and manage to nail my taste every time.

What's changed is how I spend my time, and I am all the more happier for it. I have toned down my fire for always been the first person to jump into a cause. I am no longer the first person to jump onto the activism bandwagon, even when there is something I am truly passionate about. I am coming to terms with the realisation that I can't do everything all the time and that all the passion in the world doesn't mean that it's a good idea for me to spend my time doing certain things. I'd be lying if I said I don't miss, to an extent, dipping my toes in the politics pool - I will always have strong opinions, I don't think I'll ever get that 'out of my system', and I imagine sometimes I'll continue to act on my urge to be an activist, it's in my blood. I think that has been the biggest change, in that it has freed up a lot more of my time to do things for me, which I haven't always been the best at.

I've taken on new activities this year, and put on hold others. I tried, not very successfully, to continue studying Arabic this year. I put it on hold after a while, but I think next year I'd like to try again. I can read and write (if not understand a thing) in Arabic now, so hey, I think that's pretty sweet. Being in Switzerland for a week with two friends who don't speak French has really stretched the limits of my high school French speaking abilities, and reignited my spark to take that up again, too. I also took up comedy improv this year. It's probably the most random thing I never thought I'd ever do, and I enjoy it way more than I thought I would, so there you go. Also, manicures and massages. I get them semi-regularly. Life's simple pleasures!

So for anyone that's been wondering what's been happening in my world, that's the gist of it. In the spirit of upcoming new year's resolutions I guess I'll finish with what's next? More travel, but of course - it had to be mentioned eventually. Next up is China, one week from today in fact. I'll also be fulfilling a long time dream and visiting South America at long last next year. Brazil is booked for 8 days in April, so exciting!! That aside, I hope for more professional fulfilment and success in the new year and the strengthening of existing bonds, but also hopefully building new ones. Ten months ago I wrote a blog in which I reported I am happy. Not to say that everything has been smooth and peachy since then, but I am feeling more settled and comfortable in my environment and in the relationships I have formed since writing that post, thus even happier than when I wrote those words.

To anyone reading this, I wish you a Merry Christmas if you celebrate it, and a happy new year. May your new year bring exactly what you wish it to, and if you're reading this then you must play some part in my life, so here's hoping that continues throughout 2014, in the nicest possible way :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment